The American Geriatrics Society is having its annual meeting this week and it is chock-full of goodies for those interested in palliative care and geriatrics. The one thing you must do if you are in Orlando is join us for the Palliative Care SIG at Mulino’s lounge on Thursday from 6:00-7:30pm. Rumor has it that Steve Smith, CEO of AAHPM, will be there too, as well as the ever elusive Paul Tatum.
Here are a couple of other events that you should consider attending while at #AGS14 that combine the two best fields in health care. This is only a partial list of palliative care topics at #AGS14 as this year’s schedule is full of good stuff (comment below if you want to shout out a session).
- The jointly sponsored session by AGS and AAHPM on “Tools For Success: Care Of Adults With Multimorbidity In Hospice and Palliative Care.” From 100-5:30 pm. Room Asia 2.
- Do Unto Others: Doctors’ Personal End-of-Life Resusitation Preferences and Their Attitudes towards Advance Directives. Pleneray Paper Session. From11-12pm. N Hemisphere B-E
- Opioids for Older Adults with Chronic pain: New Evidence, New Questions. 1-2:30pm. S. Hemisphere III
- What is the Right Approach for ESRD? Dialysis Now, Dialysis Later, or No Dialysis. 2:45-4:15pm. S. Hemisphere II
- How Behavioral Norms and Communications Influence Preference and Decisions for Feeding Tubes in Advanced Dementia. 2:45PM to 4:15PM. N Hemisphere A1/2
- Palliative Care Special Interest Group: we are going to mix things up this year with a networking SIG session at Mulino’s lounge on Thursday from 6:00 – 7:30 p.m.
- Cancer and Aging SIG: 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. Room: Asia 4.
- Heart Failure in Long-Term Care. 7:30-9am. S. Hemisphere I
- Moral Support for Moral Distress. 12:30 PM to 2:00 PM, S Hemisphere IV
- Behind the Curtain: How to Create a Successful Proposal for an AGS, AMDA, and AAHPM Annual Meeting Presentation. 10:45 AM to 12:15 PM. N Hemisphere A3/4.
- Conversing About Goals and Values – The Step Before Advance Directives. 10:45 AM to 12:15 PM. Asia 5
And don’t forget about the AGS social media contest. This year’s theme: #AGSBeyondTwittertoNetworking. Details can be found here: http://ow.ly/wxMiy
by: Eric Widera (@ewidera)