Richard Besdine, MD medical officer for the American Federation for Aging Research, has a terrific piece in the Huffington Post about palliative care and misconceptions about the field. This is GeriPal to the core. Please follow this link to read the full version.
As a tantalizing preview, here are the 5 misconceptions in brief:
- If you accept palliative care, you must stop treatment.
- Palliative care is the same as hospice.
- Electing palliative care means you are giving up.
- Palliative care shortens life expectancy.
- There isn’t need for palliative care because my doctor will address pain anyway.
by: Alex Smith @alexsmithMD